Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Victoria River

It must've been raining for three weeks now. Last night I took the Star Ferry across the harbour to Central. The shoreline by night was gorgeous. The sky hasn't been this clear for a long while. It always takes two weeks of heavy rain to clear the air for about two days. A clear sky was something I expected. What I didn't expect, however, was how much more land there was by the pier. That was the brilliant reclamation project that the government claimed to help ease traffic congestion. From how it looked last night, it didn't occur to me traffic would be directed to that remote corner. It looked to me like more land for more buildings.

I located the City Hall, a place I used to frequent as a kid. There used to be the Queen's Pier right outside the City Hall. What that means, of course, is that the boundary of the harbour would begin just outside the City Hall. What I saw last night was land, a massive piece of land, outside the City Hall. Did I say that spot used to be a pier?! The Victoria Harbour has dramatically narrowed over the past 5 decades. I would think people had better sense of what conservation is these days. Well, at least not the Hong Kong government. They're still further reclaiming more land from the harbour in the year 2008. Central and TST really aren't that far apart anymore. I suppose that makes making out the other side of the "river" in the smog easier.

No comments: