Monday, October 23, 2006

Grouse Grind

I woke up after a 12 hour sleep and I was still feeling tired with a headache. I had the free breakfast that came with the accommodation, and took an extra bagel planning on having it as lunch or as any sort of backup food. Duh... Forgot to bring it with me when I packed up.

I then took the bus, the ferry, and then the bus to Grouse Mountain. The ferry ride was kind of nice, and I loved the fact that all three trips were covered by one fare - as long as I got on them within 90 minutes of the first ride. The Grouse Grind hike was a bit more rigorous than I expected. It was an elevation of 853m over a distance of 2.9km. It was basically a non-stop Stepmaster with no flat terrain for you to catch your breath. A fit person can do it in around an hour, and the less fit will take an hour and a half. And I, of course, did it in an hour and a half :(. It was a nice hike nonetheless. I went from feeling chilly in my fleece to taking off the fleece leaving only my short-sleeve wicking Tee and was still covered in sweat. I saved myself a good $15 by hiking up instead of taking the SkyRide, which is essentially a big cable car. All this time I thought I've been to Whistler, and it was only Grouse Mountain that I've been to. :-|. :-(. Well, this time it wasn't covered in snow. Though I saw a roaming bear. Nope, it's not fenced off at the Grizzly Bear Habitat.

There was a thick fog over the harbours around Vancouver. It was cool when viewered high from Grouse Mountain. It looked more like clouds than fogs.

Had the left over bagel for dinner. Went over to Blentz for a hot chocolate and free wifi. Gosh, their hot chocolate is good!!! It's a bit sweet, I guess that's to cater for Canadians' sweet teeth. But the dark Belgian chocolate hot chocolate was soooo chocolaty!! It actually tasted like chocolate. Hmmm delicious... Too bad they're not in Toronto. And you can't beat that free wifi. I won't have free wifi when I get to Toronto. Oh no... how am I going to spend my night time in Toronto?? I'm going to suffer from withdrawal...

No comments: