Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Harry Potter

I finally finished all the Harry Potter books. I loved the first three books in the series. I remember craving so badly before I finished the book. I haven't experienced such craving for reading since Jinyong (金庸) in my teenage years, when I would cover myself with a blanket and read under a flashlight just to escape being noticed by mom that I hadn't gone to bed. This day, of course, I didn't have to hide anymore to pull an all nighter to read. But the first three Harry Potter books still had the same effect on me. Then the fourth book became a lot thicker. Deaths started to occur to the characters. It was no longer a children's book. I was still addicted to the book, but I was able to have some sleep between reading. Then came the fifth and the sixth books. There were even more deaths, deaths of some major characters. I felt sad for days after I finished reading those two books, particularly the fifth. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep supporting what originated as a children's fiction. But then, of course, there's only one book left. I had to read it to finish the series. I once again got sad towards the end of the book, but unlike the fifth book, there was a closure this time so I felt better after I was done with the whole seventh book. So, all in all, it was a good series. Things became dark towards the later books, however. I'd probably feel better if I started off reading them as an adult's fiction.

No comments: