Monday, January 28, 2008

Vaccinations

It's kinda weird that lately I've been having more traffic on my blog, yet nobody's leaving me any comments. I'm having visitors all the way from places like Egypt, Japan, and Mexico. Interesting. Please do leave me some comments so I know who my readers are. =)

I went to the doctor to get vaccinated for my trip to Peru. I went initially thinking only to get the Hepatitis B shots. I figured I'm not at a high risk for Yellow Fever. After chatting with the doctor, I was recommended to get five shots! I probably haven't had so many shots since I was a baby. So I was advised to take the shots for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and a booster shot for Tetanus. It was a good deal. All the shots plus a three-day course of acetazolamide (Diamox) and consultation cost me only a little above HK$1,000.

I was such a smart ass. The doctor was telling me about HAPE, HACE, AMS, the 2500m line, signs to look out for, etc. I basically nodded so frequently I was telling him I knew it all. Then he said he would prescribe some pills for me as a preventive measure which I should take a day before I reach Cusco. I told him, but I don't want to take it as a preventive measure. I want to take it only when I start to feel the effects. He smiled and said okay and went on to explain more things to watch out for since I was lowering the safety level. He described to me the minor, harmless side effects of the pills he's prescribing me with. After listening, I asked if it was Diamox. He was pretty surprised and asked if I was a healthcare worker as well. That's when I thought I was being such a smart ass, though we went on to discuss the different effects and effectiveness of 紅景天 and Diamox.

Then it was time to schedule my five shots. Since a second visit was required for Hep B, the doctor said I could take a couple of the shots next time.

"But I want to get it over with. Can I have them all today?" I asked.
"Yes, you can. But it means you'll feel more uncomfortable and chances of you getting a fever are higher," the doctor replied.
"Oh no, I can't have a fever now. I have to run."
"Oh. Hmm... But you'll have to rest after you have your shots. When do you have to run?"
"Err... Well... Why don't you tell me when I can't run?"
"Err... Well... Is it important that you run?"
"Err... Well... Yeah kind of... I have to run the Standard Chartered race..."
"Oh my god... Okay, then you'll just take Hep B and Tetanus today. Save the rest for after the race!"

I think that was pretty funny because I was such a pain in the neck. Anyways. My appointment was supposed to be 15 minutes long. I think mine lasted maybe 25 minute? All I knew was the nurse had to come in to tell the doctor that 15 minutes were up, while we still went on to talk more...

No comments: