Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Work

What can I say about my job? It was unbearably boring, dull, and lacking satisfaction less than six months ago. I could've quit any moment, except that I never took action to look for a job. Then at the end of 2006, I thought very hard about what I wanted from my job. I felt that I should give it another try. I also saw in my job an opportunity for me to finally position myself in the company. So I took on the challenge.

Ever since I made the decision, my workload has increased three-fold. My salary, of course, remains unchanged. In addition, I am very unlikely to be able to hit my target, and thus I won't be awarded with a bonus. So why the hell did I get myself into this?

I'm actually having a lot of fun. I'm being exposed to something entirely different from what I've been doing. I now own a responsibility. I get to travel (yeah, I know, it's only Guangzhou - well, maybe Taiwan, too, in the near future), I get to work with people who also try to get some work done, I get to be involved in everything that has to do with the product that I look after.

I'm finally putting all my language skills to work. I now get to speak English, Mandarin, and Cantonese, as well as reading and typing Traditional and Simplified Chinese. I gotta be proud of my language abilities. Excuse my arrogance, but I don't see that many people around me who can handle the same fluency I have for English AND Mandarin. Plus my ability to read Simplified Chinese. Oh yeah, I can type both Simplified and Traditional Chinese, too. I'm getting a lot of satisfaction right there. I'm even getting myself to write a Chinese article for a magazine. I had to be out of my mind to volunteer for this job, but I really wanted to test my writing abilities. I'm not keen to prove my Chinese writing skills, but I'm eager to affirm my language proficiency. The only problem I have right now is my spoken English. I'm really having some issues there. I can't speak properly these days.

I'm taking some risks at work by making these decisions. But I'll worry about that later.

(P.S. Big thanks to those who have complimented my English. You have reassured mE!)

No comments: