Work brought me the blues as the day came to a close. I'm really at a loss at work. I find no positioning or direction for myself. I feel like I'm being made to do things that I either don't want to do or don't see a point doing. I'm made to make requests that won't be answered as requested. I relay the request, I'm unreasonable. I reply with a no, I'm being unhelpful and difficult.
A non-local made a comment the other day that the majority of Hong Kongers share a similar background; if they have been abroad, they would have come back from Canada. The comment wasn't explicitly directed to me, but I felt quite offended. I guess this is why stereotyping or generalization is often demeaning. Everybody wants their own identity. I, in particular, have been experiencing an identity crisis and the last thing I want is to be coined "the average, ordinary Hong Konger". I strongly disagree that I am just like the average person on the street, because I am not, in any which way you look at me -- be it my manners, my interests, my talking, my behaviour, or my view on this damn world. Yes, a lot of returnees have returned from Canada, but I'm damn proud to be Canadian. And I'm damn proud to remain unique, though sometimes painfully so.
And why the hell being a literate having a liking for staying home reading is deemed anti-social?!
Update: On hind sight, I didn't get upset because I was stereotyped. I got upset because I thought I was being stereotyped as the kind of stereotype I have for my definition of the average Hong Konger. Apparently, I wasn't stereotyped as what I would call an average Hong Konger in my own dictionary. I, however, still prefer not losing my uniqueness.
Friday, June 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
When people making generalizations, they either haven't seen enough of diversity, or they don't know the particular person so well. Once you get to know the person, you will see everyone is unique in his/her own way.
You are a special individual to yourself. Celebrate the difference. Don't let the work wear your out.
Lyra's comment is a good reminder for myself, as I had similar experience. Especially, when I spend more time with my co-workers than my family. Work seemed like my everything. Since, we now spend so much time at work. If things like that bother oneself that much, it is better to speak out. Politely, confront the person who gave the comment. You must be in a calm mood though. Whether there is a solution or not, at least you let it out.
Sometimes, we think we are "special" (including myself) :) If things don't go our way, we would ask why. But we are only like dust from the universe point of view. So, try not to let these things drag you for too long. A short period of time is acceptable. :o Let's forget about those who don't understand everyone is unique.
Post a Comment